Test Email Function Just Spins (SMTP)

The problem I'm having is that the test email function just sits there and spins. I am trying to use gmail for my smtp server and I have everything configured correctly, (using the gmail setup doc). But when i click test email it just sits there and spins. I also tried using the php function but it did the same thing. I got a little farther using sendmail which because you cant configure gmails smtp authentication from the php.ini file sendmail has those options built in like what port to use for ssl (which is required) and such. This got me to the point where the test email function would say "Mail is send" (bad grammar on prestashops side) but the email would never go through and I would not receive it. Ill assume it was gmails problem so I'm trying to use the smtp function but all it does is sit there.

I am hosting my own website using 2008 server and IIS most everything works minus a couple small problems which im working on but this is kind of a big thing that i need working. Any ideas? has anyone else set this up before on their own instead of using a hosting service? Seems like most people on the forums are using a hosting service.

Thanks!