How to simplify or shorten URL displayed in browser?

Hi All,

I was wondering if there is a possibility to shorten or simplify the displayed in browser window when a page is active.
Something like below:

http://www.freetech-equipment.com/testshop/accessories-ipod/8-housse-portefeuille-en-cuir-belkin-pour-ipod-nano-noir-chocolat.html

I guess it is not very good for SEO and confusing for visitors.

I already have the friendly url activated and added the htaccess in the root folder.

Thanks in advance,
Manuel

It was not unclear, just using a friendly URL like "housse portefeuille en cuir belkin pour ipod nano noir chocolat" then asking about the length threw me off. You could give a URL a shorter name, that along with the moving to real server from test bed would turn the address from

http://www.freetech-equipment.com/testshop/accessories-ipod/8-housse-portefeuille-en-cuir-belkin-pour-ipod-nano-noir-chocolat.html

reducing it almost by half

http://www.freetech-equipment.com/accessories-ipod/8-portefeuille-pour-ipod.html

However, all of this mute. Google is clever enough to ignore that starting 8, the current URL is more descriptive and, no disrespect, most visitors would not notice if the address bar bit them in the a... let alone the length of the URL. And if the URL was a measure of visitor enjoyment, this site would have no visitors :)

• Like 1

I guess you are totally right!
As long as the products in the site are attractive and the site looks good.

By the way, talking about the '8'; (maybe I should open another topic for this but maybe the answer and solution are simple)

In the search bar: when typing i.e. 'apple i', it outocompletes to the search possibilities i.e. 'apple ipod 8gb'.
When pushing the search button, the name dissapears in the window and the product number i.e. '8' appears. The search result is ok and showing the ipod.

Is there a way to have the '8' not displayed in the search bar?

In the search bar: when typing i.e. 'apple i', it outocompletes to the search possibilities i.e. 'apple ipod 8gb'.
When pushing the search button, the name dissapears in the window and the product number i.e. '8' appears. The search result is ok and showing the ipod.

Is there a way to have the '8' not displayed in the search bar?

I cannot replicate this with the demo. 8 (or any other number) does not appear at all , during auto complete or when search button is clicked.

29639_otnw0ay9Ve1tg77oTHll_t

29640_EuKiS7WL9cdEjn6RCYBy_t

When I test the search bar and enter i.e. ''apple'', I get a selection list same as your printscreen, but then after pushing the search knob, ''apple idpod etc'' disappears and is replaced by i.e. ''8'' (as for article id).
Other than that digit showing, the search option works fine.