Problem with item sorting in Prestashop 1.7.2.0

Vivaldi Meble

Hello

I've got a problem with item sorting in my store. The problem occurs for "main" categories (in my case Salon / Living Room, Sypialnia / Bedroom and so on). I've selected (manually) the correct order in which the products should appear in those categories, but they are displayed differently (incorrect order or even products that shouldn't be there). "Subcategories" (like, for instance, Komody / Dressers, Łóżka / Beds and so on) function perfectly fine - the products are displayed as I wanted. 

So far i've tried the following:

- adding the "incorrect" items to the "main" categories to be able to sort them (i've put them at the end of the category), but it didn't help;

- i've turned off/on catching;

- i've deactivated and activated the incorrect products - as soon as i've activated them back, they reappeared in the wrong place (but the same as before the deactivation);

- i've tried different default sorting methods (at the moment I have selected "Position inside category", if that's the english name).

A little example to ease up understanding of my explanation:

I've choosen the following order in the back office:

pos. 1 product A

pos. 2 product B

pos. 3 product C

pos. 4 product D

pos. 5 product E

However, the products appear in the following order:

pos. 1 product E

pos. 2 product G (which shouldn't even be there)

pos. 3 product D

pos. 4 product H (the same as product G)

pos. 5 product A

Does anyone have any idea what can be done about it, without (if possible) using any external (paid) modules? 

Edited by Vivaldi Meble (see edit history)