Index.php Is it important?

fancydressqueen

Hi all,
I just got a cold call from a company that told me that I needed to optimize my index.php page. Is this true, if yes how do I do this? They wanted money for doing it for me but I am sure it can't be that difficult to do.

Also, how important is it to edit the meta title for each item? Will this count against me as duplicate data if most of my pages carry the same title? What are the optimal number of characters that I should have in the meta title, meta description and meta keywords boxes?

Thank to all, more questions to follow no doubt!

You could allways benefit from the extra "landingpage" But looking at it in the overall index.php isnt the best place to land people. They should be directed to a place where they can start shopping right away. I have optimez our frontpage a bit, but im clearly not putting the focus there. And surely not cash for that page alone!

• 2 weeks later...

Meta tags and keywords arent as important as they used to be. Give them some attention, sure, but don't get too carried away.
They probably mean that you need to work on your page title tag and improve the content on the actual index.php file. Such as, using appropriate keywords in your text, properly assigning header tags, strong/bold tags, and generally just optimising your page content.