Security of FREE themes

Richard_RB

I'm quite new to using Prestashop and I have been pretty impressed by some of the FREE themes I have seen around and I've seen a couple I intend to use to create my own theme. However, as I'm new to Prestashop I have no idea if their is any danger in downloading themes from website I don't know.

I'm a regular user of Wordpress and they have had a problem where people have created new themes and plugins but inside them people add hidden links and other malicious code which can become a security risk. Also, the hidden links are usually pointing to websites with poor search engine reputations and this would have a very negative impact on someones SEO.

So as you can imagine I'm a bit concerned that this Wordpress trend may have also spilled over to other themes and modules such as FREE prestashop resources and I'm wondering if anyone has ever come across this of heard of it happening with Prestashop themes or modules.

Also, if you haven't heard of it but it is possible could you tell me how to make sure what I choose to download is safe. Is there anything I need to check or look out for to make sure the files are safe to use. Finally, if this menace is possible, could you tell me how to repair a theme that has bad code if possible...i.e would it just be a matter of finding the bad code and cutting and pasting.

I know what they say, that you should only download from reputable sources but I honestly have no idea who is reputable in this market at the moment other than the official Prestashop website.

Here are the two themes I want to use to create my own original theme both from the same website:

1. RUMAH BATIK PRESTASHOP THEME
and
3. MOBILE STORE PRESTASHOP THEME
http://www.prestashopic.com/download-free-prestashop-themes

Does nobody here know if this is a real potential problem or not? Obviously, being an ecommerce store it's extreamly important that I make sure the website is fully safe for my customers so this is a big concern and I won't be able to move forward until I find out about any possible risks.

I've googled this as much as I can and I can't find any information related to theme security risks.

It may be a none issue and I really hope it is, I just need to hear from other experianced Prestashop users to find out if they've ever come across these types of problems before with Prestashop themes and modules when they've been downloaded from somewhere they've never been before.

If someone could just tell me if the two themes (in my OP) are well known, popular themes, that would be enough to convince me their ok to use without worrying there's bad code in them somewhere.

I'm quite new to using Prestashop and I have been pretty impressed by some of the FREE themes I have seen around and I've seen a couple I intend to use to create my own theme. However, as I'm new to Prestashop I have no idea if their is any danger in downloading themes from website I don't know.

I'm a regular user of Wordpress and they have had a problem where people have created new themes and plugins but inside them people add hidden links and other malicious code which can become a security risk. Also, the hidden links are usually pointing to websites with poor search engine reputations and this would have a very negative impact on someones SEO.

So as you can imagine I'm a bit concerned that this Wordpress trend may have also spilled over to other themes and modules such as FREE prestashop resources and I'm wondering if anyone has ever come across this of heard of it happening with Prestashop themes or modules.

Also, if you haven't heard of it but it is possible could you tell me how to make sure what I choose to download is safe. Is there anything I need to check or look out for to make sure the files are safe to use. Finally, if this menace is possible, could you tell me how to repair a theme that has bad code if possible...i.e would it just be a matter of finding the bad code and cutting and pasting.

I know what they say, that you should only download from reputable sources but I honestly have no idea who is reputable in this market at the moment other than the official Prestashop website.

Here are the two themes I want to use to create my own original theme both from the same website:

1. RUMAH BATIK PRESTASHOP THEME
and
3. MOBILE STORE PRESTASHOP THEME
http://www.prestashopic.com/download-free-prestashop-themes

Thank You for using our Rumah Batik Theme,

We dont create free theme with adding a hidden links and other malicious code which can become a security risk. WE GUARANTEE THAT. (if only you download it from our site. http://dapurpixel.com).