Module for Product Customization

Tivy

I'm new to Prestashop and I have some question about a module I need to write to allow for product customization. The store is going to be used to sell paintings. The issue I'm having is that the artist has over 50 different mattes, frames, and covers EACH that can be applied to any painting (resulting in thousands of combinations). Needless to say setting up all these 100s of combinations for each painting with the appropriate additive cost is not an option. So here's what I have planned.

I'm going to add a small box on each product page with a button that says "Frame It!" Clicking this button re-directs you to an additional page I'm going to make where the user can select any combination of matte, frame, and finish and "try it on" the painting. Then they can choose to add that combination to their cart.

Here's what I need help with.

1) The store is going to have 4 categories: paintings, mattes, frames and finishes. The framing app needs to have access to all the products in the mattes, frames and finishes categories to pull the respective images from those products. How do I access those products?

2) The mattes and frames can be purchased separately (ie. outside the framing app), and they're priced on a per square inch basis. Thus for those products, I need text boxes where the user can enter the desired height and width and then prestashop calculate the resultant total cost. Is there an option or module for this?

These are just preliminary thoughts, but if anyone has any answers or suggestions of where to start?