Sorting Products / Category structure

Loxx

Hi,

I am looking for a Category structure /sorting method, that represents the following idea:

Products are in Categories and can be filtered by "genres"...

for example:

Category is "Costume", Genres are: "Gothic", "Cosplay", "Anime", etc...

AND I need the costumer to be able to first choose the genre and then go down the category tree..

Meaning, someone comes and is interested in all items "labeled" Gothic, he then can filter on that "gothic" page for costumes,

jewelery, accessoires, etc...

If I use tags, then all items tagged "gothic" could be displayed with a search result page. I cannot use a layered navigation to further filter on a search result page.

Maybe you get the idea looking at the DEV Shop:

http://gck-onlineshop.binaermanufaktur.de/

In the Main nav, there is the genres gaming-cosplay-steampunk-gothic-anime  which for now are categories without tree, they only contain every product that for example is in "cosplay".

On the left nav, there is the category tree. all products are also tagged with their genres...

http://gck-onlineshop.binaermanufaktur.de/67-accessoires

Category "Accessories" has a layered navigation, that does allow to filter for subcategories, but of course not for "genres"...

I hope you get the idea...

any comments/ideas are appreciated!!!

thx Loxx

I don't really think so...

I thought about using features to do this, but not shure yet how.. If the genres were product features, how could I get all products with the same feature, let's say "cosplay" on one page and then be able to filter for categories?

Or is there a way to go to a category with a preselected filter value? for Example: I click on genre "cosplay" and I just linkt to category "Start" with a filter on for feature "cosplay"...

Edited by Loxx (see edit history)