Product combinations and inventory control

oakwood

Hello, I'm new here (and new to Prestashop).

My problem is similar to that discussed here:

https://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/271137-attributes-no-impact-on-stock-how/

- and other similar threads but I couldn't find anything posted recently.

We have 3 types of product:

1. Where  customer options can be managed through the combinations settings in PS and the inventory of each SKU tracked perfectly. An example would be Widget Type A that is available in either blue, red, green or yellow and these are all different SKUs. PS appears to handle this well (unlike, eg, Opencart). All good.

2. Standard products with no options, ie the simplest case.

3. Products that can be customised but where I need the "core" product to have its inventory tracked but not the options. For example, Widget B is available in either blue, red, green or yellow but the colour option is created by adding an accessory. Therefore, if I have 100pcs of Widget B available to buy and the customer can buy them in any of the 4 possible colours I want PS to indicate and keep track of 100pcs of the core product and not 400pcs (where 400 =  100 "bare" Widget Bs x 4 colours).

I was wondering whether this module:

http://www.presto-changeo.com/en/prestashop-attribute-modules/98-prestashop-single-stock-attributes-module.html

will do what I need. I don't really want to fork out $$ on testing something that might not work :-\.

OTOH, if anyone has any code snippets I could use that would be much appreciated. I'm not a developer but I have a reasonable working knowledge of PHP/MySQL.

TIA.