CSS changes not working?

mheld45

Hello. I'm new to Prestashop but I know the basics of CSS. I have tried numerous times to make changes to the global.css and other css files within my theme (organic) but nothing ever seems to work. There are numerous css files within the theme, so just finding the right file is a chore. I want to do basic stuff, like change the height of the header, width of the website (container?), etc. Is there some kind of Jedi mind trick that is required to make CSS changes in Prestashop themes? Thank you.

Hi!

To find which CSS file contain a certain rule and to do a lot of other operations I advice you to install the firefox extension "Web Developer" by chrispederick.

If you can't see immediately the changes made to CSS file be sure to have the cache disable.
You can follow the instructions that you can find in this page:

https://www.templatemonster.com/help/prestashop-1-6-x-how-to-clear-smarty-cache.html

Hope it help you

• Like 1

Hi!

After installation of the extention you should see a bar.
Click on CSS and after on Display Style Information.

After doing so if you go around the page with your pointer you see that each element of the DOM will be outlined in red.

Click on the element that you want to know the rules associated with, and in the bottom of the page will appear a tab with the path of the CSS files and all the rule within each file.

In the image of the example I search for the rule associated to the H1 element

post-1371215-0-55967900-1499957732_thumb.png

Thank you again. I tried that. The red boxes appear but the bottom tab displays only "Select an element to display the styles applied to it". Below the developer bar I see the html structure, but nothing at the bottom. No worries. I'll fool around with it some more.

Matt

Maybe I need to update Firefox.