Pictures in slider too big

dzinno

Hi guys, 

today i was solving some page time loading issues and i found out that the file size of the pictures in slider is too big. So i compressed the pictures uploaded them again, but the file size stayed approximately the same. 

The problem is that i upload picture that has about 80 kB (or less) but when i check it via webpagetest.org the file size is about 500 kB

my site is najzoo.sk

can you help me to solve this issue please?

Thank you

Dzinno

This issue is well known. PrestaShop uses its own JPEG - compression which is quite bad. It can blow up well optimized pictures in its size. But for sliders it would be nice to have a good compromise in terms of quality versus heaviness. To overcome, you could rewrite the ImageManager or simply do the following trick:

Right click on the slider image -> show picture. In the browsers URL field you will now see the full path and name of the image. The images are named randomly. Use FTP to upload images with this exact name and overwrite the existing ones with the optimized version you have prepared.

Do this for every single slider image.

Report back if this works for you.

Edited by Scully (see edit history)

Thank you, 

at first it didn´t work, but it looks like it works now after clearing cache in PS and on server as well. But webpagetest.org somehow still thinks that those files have about 500 kB. But when i download them, they have only like 70kB. 

But on tools.pingdom.com the page size is smaller, so i assume it works. 

Thank you again. 

Don't trust any test to much. Probably it is only a timing issue.

A good test is as follows:

- Start browser

- Visist your shop

- Enable the developer tools (there -> choose network tab). In Firefox you can for example just hit F12 to open the dev tools.

- Clear your browser cache

- Reload the page

After reloading you see every element with its size and its load time. And you can also see the total size of all elements in KB / MB and the total page load time.

That is relevant for you.

Spoken in general, images should not exceed appx. 100 KB each, the more you have, the less size they should have.