Problems with CSV Import

Hello all,

This is my first time using Prestashop, and I need some help on importing data using CSV file.

Before I started to do anything, I read this guide - http://www.prestashop.com/forums/viewthread/49825/ So instead of using Excel, I tried to use Google doc to build my product file. Apparently, Google doc uses only "," (comma) as field seperator. But because I am using the comma for multiple value separator (eg: image URL). I used CSV'ed which is suggested by uddhava in the guide to convert the field seperator from comma (",") to semi-colon (";").

- Is there a way I can choose another character as field seperator in Google doc?

- Can I use "," (comma) in product description fields?

- Can I write in paragraphs and add hyperlinks in product description field? Somehow CSV'ed has problem reading the contents of the product desc fields in my Google doc when I there are line-breaks and hyperlinks.

- Can I build the product list from scratch using CSV'ed? Somehow I found it difficult to use and understand how it works...

Now, with field seperator as ";" and multiple value as "," I can proceed and have the system reads my data correctly (I thought...), but when I tried to import CSV data, there are error messages saying "Product -> quantity is empty Product -> name is empty" (pls see CSV-Import-04). Yet, I have actually put data in these fields (pls see CSV-Import-01, CSV-Import-02). Would someone please tell me what I have done wrong here?

In addition, there is error copying images for my product image (pls see CSV-Import-03 and CSV-Import-05). I want to use images in another domain of mine (hosted by the same hosting company). Can I do that? Or do they have to be in the same directory as where my Prestashop is installed?

Any advice and suggestion is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

26416_5Rp8GGH5lbrgTCTI7rSU_t

26417_KbP8emxpaXFIqD2oUd4b_t

26418_eimrVQvVI5gt7jT22Gaj_t

26419_rdaONg1bqYfdMW30Dxri_t

26420_pCaSAJasc6bwyGNKfek5_t

Sandy,

I am still exploring the import function and writing my experiences in the thread/Guide.
Now i am using Google Docs because CSVED is too confusing (as you have experienced...)

- Is there a way I can choose another character as field seperator in Google doc?

No
- Can I use “,” (comma) in product description fields?

You can use a "," as a FS and also for the multiple value seperator. Just be sure to change the multiple value seperator field in the import page.
Google will make sure that fields with a comma are quoted properly..
So you dont need to mess arround with ;.... (after all a CSV is a COMMA seperated File)...

- Can I write in paragraphs and add hyperlinks in product description field? Somehow CSV’ed has problem reading the contents of the product desc fields in my Google doc when I there are line-breaks and hyperlinks.

I did not manage to import HTML yet.. And paragraphs is also not working at the moment.

- Can I build the product list from scratch using CSV’ed? Somehow I found it difficult to use and understand how it works…

I gave up on CSVED.. Too confusing
Google docs works for me, but others are reporting good results with OpenOffice.

I see that you use a full URL in your image field. That will not work, at least not for me.
I suggest to upload your images to a new folder and then use a relative path.
I have put my images in my theme :
/themes/mytheme/img/products
In the csv file i point to the image like this : ../themes/mytheme/img/products/exampleimage.jpg

Hi uddhava,

Thank you for your help. I have a more clear picture now. But only that I still cannot import my products successfully. There are 10 errors for my 5 product entries (pls refer to CVS-Import-01). What would you think the problem is?

- Will the product data that is already in the database be overwritten when I import the product CVS file?

- If yes, does the system overwrite the data according to the Product ID (unique Product ID)?

- If no, should I always delete the existing product data before importing product CVS file?

I did some research and found this thread in PS forum - http://www.prestashop.com/forums/viewthread/40733/general_discussion/error_productlink_rewrite_is_empty_for_default_language So I reset my language and deactivated the other two (pls refer to CVS-Import-02), but same error I got.

Thanks in advance!

26528_jIE6c2qmmBpsH98lOY3N_t

26530_Puzc2HiiQK0Mpg6al6pO_t

Hi uddhava,

I have got the cvs file imported, still have some other errors and problems. But at least I got the data imported. Thanks much for your help. I will probably do more research and work on the other problems, and probably will need to post new threats for more help and suggestions! THanks!