Some General Questions on PrestaShop and OS,Web Server Compatibility

Hi all,

I have a couple questions on PS's compatibility with OSs and Web Servers.

Let me qualify the questions I want to ask first: I have had (and don't ask why, but am having problems yet again) problems using PrestaShop on a Windows OS, using IIS ISAPI. I don't have the same issues on "localhost" using an XAMPP install. The issue is with saving images, and having IIS fail and need to be restarted after every 2 or 3 images. (Anyone else here had this issue?)

So the solution arrived at by our boss, and the head of IT, is to give me my own dedicated server in the rack, and put my PrestaShop setup on it.

The question is, can PrestaShop run on a Linux based OS, and what Web Servers in Linux will it work with?

I'd appreciate any input, as soon as I can get it. I'd personally be happy with Windows XP and XAMPP with some security turned on, but apparently they would like it Linux based to make it closer to bullet proof from the outside.

Let me know thoughts, facts, suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your time,

Angie (bykrmom)

Hi there Angie,

I'm actually using prestashop on a linux server and apart from having to iron out a few glitches during the initial configuration the system seems very stable and the various functionalities all work (image resizing, ajax stuff & .csv import - if you're careful about what to feed to the system).

This is how the server is set up, hope it'll be enough to give you an idea.

Linux distribution w/kernel 2.6.22 (as long as apache runs on it you should be fine) with:

Apache web server (version 2.2.9)
PHP 5.2.6
MySQL 5.0.45 (community edition)

I think it's basically the same configuration the Prestashop team suggests on this website.

On a windows server the only problem I can think of (but I work on Linux, so someone else will probably be able to confirm/correct what follows) is about file & folder permissions: a friend of mine was having problems with image resizing on windows because the "destination" folder wasn't writeable.
Hope it helps!

Have a great week-end,
Fabio

Thanks Fabio, I appreciate that.

I passed on your system spec's on to the IT manager and he'll get me set up while I hammer away at the site using the old Windoze server. When it's ready I'm moving my PrestaShop once again. (good thing it's easy)

Angie (bykrmom)