Cannot get apple-touch-icon.png to work reliably on mobile devices, instead I get a question mark

docprego@me.com

I uploaded the .png file to my root directory.  I can load it immediately by going to:  mysite/apple-touch-icon.png.

I've added this line to header.tpl between the <head> and </head> section in my current theme directory and to the theme directory in my admin folder:

<link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="http://mysite.com/apple-touch-icon.png" />

Neither edit made the png work.  Well for the most part it doesn't work.  Here's what I experience:

On iPad Mini 4 when opening a new tab all of my favorites are represented by their touch icons but my site is represented by a question mark and white background.  When I attempt to add my site to the home screen a miniature image of the web page is utilized, not my touch icon that I have uploaded. 

On iPhone 7 Plus the favorites screen when opening a new tab behaves exactly as mentioned above for the iPad Mini 4.  However when adding my site to the home screen the touch icon DOES work!

I am stumped.  How can I reliably get the touch icon to appear for all mobile devices instead of that awful question mark?  Am I editing the wrong header.tpl file?  Some other oversight?

Thank you!
Edited by [email protected] (see edit history)

• 5 months later...