[SOLVED] language modifications not accepted

I have a major problem when I switch from one language to the other (English - Italian). Whenever I make a change in the catalog (categories and products) or in the CMS, the changes appear in the settings but not in the actual English and Italian websites.
In other words, no matter if I'm in English or Italian BackOffice, each modification field has only an American flag next to it, and not the Italian one to choose from. This results in modifications only applied to the English website. Is there a way to add an option for the Italian flag too?

This has nothing to do with the language pack being installed, or with the translations being made. It has to do with a default language that cannot be switched. Any help

One example will clarify. If you click the "about us" tab on the englich page http://www.nelpaesedelvino.com/shop/cms.php?id_cms=4 you can see some info. But if you switch to the Italian language, then "about us" is empty. And guess what? I have modify it in the BackOffice. Therefore I think the default English overrides the Italian.

[sOLVED] Crazy, right after I posted my issue I was enlightened from God and found the solution! I'm posting it for others to know.
You just have to make YOUR language the default language for the shop: from Tools > Languages > Languages options > change language. So, remember that if you must make changes in the other languages you got, ALWAYS remember to SWITCH THE DEFAULT LANGUAGE in the Bakoffice first.
:-)

...all the above is true, EXCEPT.... for the "top menu link". :-(
If you add one link on one language website, it excludes the same link in the other language one. As a matter of fact, the link is there but there's no link name visible (i.e. the mouse detects the link but the page doesn't show it). Weird! :S