PHP mail and SMTP do not function.

Hi,
Ive searched this forum for anyone with the same problem and whilst many people have issues with smtp and PHP mail they generally at least get an error code.
i have installed prestashop on my wamp server and everything but the email service runs fine. I have setup smtp before on third party email software like outlook before and have input the correct port number and email address and such in prestashop. i have also forwarded these ports on my modem just in case.
The issue is in sending a test email or getting any kind of email to send at all. it simply shows the loading gif and sits and waits. forever.
i have even installed postcast on my server and attempted to run smtp myself. the problem appears to be with prestashop. it simply isnt connecting to the smtp server.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Prestashop ver: 1.3.0.10

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,
I eventually managed to sort out a solution. you need to run an smtp server like "1st smtp server" and get prestashop to send the emails to localhost. then get the smtp server to route the emails through someone like gmail or another smtp server. i use internodes smtp server as i am in australia and they are my ISP. try that.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks Bnutz,

i got it working temporarily by using gmails smtp servers.

Not ideal but it work until I setup something more permanent like you've suggested above - thanks for that.
The dev team should look at this issue closely though as it shouldn't be necessary for anyone to have to do this.

just my 2 cent!