How to prevent pre-made modules from reverting to default during update

paulinewong

Hello, I installed the "bootstrap" module to my website and made some changes to the template files in the backend to customize my website. For example, I change the width of the top banner, the maximum width of images in the home hook so an image can span two columns, font coloiur/size, adding the currency symbol next to any price point on the website, etc.

However, with every Prestashop update, my changes are wiped because the templates in the module revert back to default. Is there a way to prevent this?

Thank you.

• 1 month later...

I tried following the instructions in that manual and it is very confusing since I am not familiar with PHP or MySQL. Are there a better step-by-step tutorial elsewhere or could someone walk me through it?

Basically, I downloaded the default-bootstrap theme and made a number of changes to some of the .tpl documents in that theme. For example, I adjusted the css to "blockcms", added an extra line to "blockuserinfo", removed a few lines from "blockcontact", etc. Everytime the script goes through an upgrade, all of those files revert back to the original AND all the countries are disabled except for United States (I offer shipping worldwide so ALL countries were enabled).

I want the updates but I want to the above to stop. If there is an easy hack to do this, please let me know!

Thank you.

If ALL your changes are done inside the themes directory, then all you would have to do is rename your custom "default-bootstrap" them to something else, for instance the name of your shop (no spaces), upload it to the themes directory and then install that theme via back office. 

Then, in the auto-upgrade module configuration, disable "Switch to default theme" option, also disable "Disable non-native modules". 

With this setup you should be able to upgrade without losing your changes, as long as you did not modify any file outside the "default-bootstrap" theme directory you referred to.

The countries problem seems a different issue. I've never seen that, but it should not be related to any theme modification.

• 2 weeks later...