Stock Check at checkout leaves customer puzzled

A  Bit of Home

I am running v1.6.1.8 and fairly new to PS (we created store in September). I have come across a problem that I knew would happen at some point.

When 2 different customers have the same product in their cart, the one that completes checkout first gets it. That's fine and the way it should be. The second customer eventually goes to the checkout and sees an error message that an item they have ordered in no longer available and they cannot proceed.

The problem is that with our store, the customer can usually have a dozen or more products in their cart and the error message does not give them a clue as to what item it is. Also, it may not be that the item is not available at all. You get the same error if there is just not enough to fill the original quantity put in the basket. For example, there are 3 Widgets in stock, customer 1 orders 1 Widget and customer 2 orders all 3 Widgets. Customer 1 checks out first leaving only 2 Widgets. Customer 2 gets the error message and has no idea what product is the problem and then just gives up. You lose a whole order because of 1 item.

Have I not set something up properly or is this the way PS works?

Any advice or comments appreciated.

Thanks

Henry