Prestashop index.php, server performance issues and very odd cart activity. Can anyone help?

Danny2014

Hi, I'm hoping this is the right place to post this and that someone might be able to help.

Yesterday, Prestashop caused server-wide issues through constantly running processes on the server - namely the site's root index.php.  These processes were so much that it caused everything to grind to a halt.  I removed index.php, thus killing the site and the processes stopped.  Though they started again as soon as i put index.php back again.  So I removed it and left it overnight.  This morning I put index.php back again and everything is running OK.

Looking at the dashboard yesterday when this was happening, there was 1 active cart all day.  In the Carts screen, there were over 200 carts registered over a 6 minute period.  All with groups of set prices in each, so 20 carts with one price and another 20 carts with another price.

This morning, there are only 20 of those carts listed in the Carts screen.  With one cart that's gone up into the thousands of pounds.  

There are no active carts now and I have put index.php back again and the site and server is running fine with close monitoring.  I can't seem to replicate the problem.

My hosting company said it was a database optimisation issue, but that wouldn't really explain the odd cart activity which is more indicative of something malicious going on.

I would very much appreciate any input or insights that anyone might have that might shed light on what happened with this odd occurrence. 

Big thanks in advance.

Danny.