Quantities by combination? - This combination does not exist for this product

I enabled simple stock management and set it to not allow ordering when out of stock. The result in category list view is perfect: Red "out of stock" if quantity is 0, and green "in stock" if quantity is > 0.

But when I click through and view an out of stock product, I get this message that makes no sense to customers:

This combination does not exist for this product. Please select another combination.

It implies that a particular combination could be out of stock, but another one could have a quantity and be in stock.

eg: Is it possible to have color RED = 0, and Blue = 12 ? If so where do I edit this? All I see is one general "Quantities" tab and entry for the entire product. There is no quantity input for individual combinations.

IMO the product view should also be saying "out of stock" in red just like it does in the category list view.

post-1291520-0-74929100-1478646682_thumb.jpg

post-1291520-0-41409300-1478646686_thumb.jpg

Today I revisited "Quantities" in combinations and I see fields to enter in values per combination. So ignore my post! (This must have been a bug with the recent Chrome browser update to synchronous calls and fixed with PS update 1.6.1.9

thanks.