Attaching extra information to cart hidden from clients

I'm developing a module that launches a contained customization tool that works entirely on the client.

While the application is complex the only part that matters in the end is the customization ID that gets generated when the user boots the tool. Thanks to it, we can download the customization performed, information on what has been done, and so on.

My problem is how to pass this new ID that gets generated to the cart, and in turn, to the backoffice.

I found a somewhat hacky way to do this by taking over a single attribute and using it to pass this information along.

This attribute is added programmatically when the product is added, but it is extremely ugly, since the attribute shows in the personalization tab of both the backoffice product, and worse, the client product page. 

We can hide this attribute field using extra css but it only gets uglier from there, as we have to ensure to just hide our attribute, remove the tab if only our attribute is there, be nice to themes, so on, and so forth.

Is there some sort of "hidden" attribute that can be added for this?

Or some way to attach additional information to a cart?

Thanks in advance