Layered Navigation not displaying

Hi,

Can somebody please check that I'm doing this correctly as I've had no luck so far with getting it to work! Need it to display on the home page and on category pages, not so much on the individual product pages.

1. Disabled Cache

2. Transplant Module 'Layered Navigation Block' onto hook 'displayRightColumn(Right Column Blocks) as I am using the theme Simplio with a right column, I presume this is the best/correct hook for it.

3. Exceptions - Here I'm selecting everything, but I'm wondering if this is what I'm doing wrong?

4. Save - Module transplanted successfully

5. Go to modules, Layered Navigation Block

6. Edit the Template (only have one)

7. Select all categories and subcategories

8. Filters YES - subcategories, product manufacturer, product price, attributes Size and Colour. All other filters set to NO.

9. Save

10. Index all missing prices, Rebuild entire price index, Build attribute index and URL index. This only takes 10 seconds max to do, should it be longer?

11. Configuration (as per attached JPEG)

12. Save

13. Re-enable Cache

Now in my right column I have Viewed Products, Top Sellers, Specials, New Products and the logos from the Paypal module, but no navigation block.

Any ideas or if you can pick up on what I've missed out from the process would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Stephanie

post-811187-0-86451900-1477645539_thumb.jpg

Hi Stephanie,

Exceptions are made to prevent the module to show on the hook on certain pages only. Thus I don't think there is much point in transplanting a module somewhere and then preventing it to show on every page type.

You can try removing the exceptions 'index' and 'category' as logically they would prevent your module to show on the home page and category page.

You can also check if Viewed Products, Top Sellers, Specials, New Products are hooked on displayRightColumn to make sure you're using the right hook.

I don't think your problem comes from the way you are configuring the module, it looks more like a hook related issue. Regarding your question on indexing time, it depends how many products you have. If you have only 100 products indexing should take only a few seconds, so it doesn't look wrong.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Yougz (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Great, thank you for your help!

I've removed the exceptions 'index' and 'category' and it's now displaying, apart from the home page which is a bit annoying but it's far better than before! Do you have any idea what others from the exception list relates to the home page?

I had already checked the hook and it was the correct one, I've just re-ordered them so it's now at the very top of the column.

Thanks again,

Stephanie

Hi,

Glad I could help. As far as I know there is only one exception per page type, so the problem with the home page should be something else. Are you sure the displayRightColumn hook itself is shown on the home page ?

It would be helpful to see your website.

Ok that makes sense!

No the display right hook isn't on the home page, so I'll need try to find the correct hook and add it there also.

There is currently a paypal logo block that is on my homepage (lower right underneath my advert blocks) and ideally I'd like to have the layered navigation display just above it. Will have a look through the hooks and see if I can find the correct one.

Thank you :-)

Edited by Stephanie-SB (see edit history)