Changing the way search results are displayed

Greetings. 

How does prestashop display the results of a search ? Currently the website's search results are configured as to be displayed like a staircase - you get a bunch of categories, click on one, get it's subcategories or products and so on. 

Where would i need to look to find this display logic ? I basically need to modify it as to display everything in a single page, maybe add a hook to act as a filter.

Greetings. 

How does prestashop display the results of a search ? Currently the website's search results are configured as to be displayed like a staircase - you get a bunch of categories, click on one, get it's subcategories or products and so on. 

Where would i need to look to find this display logic ? I basically need to modify it as to display everything in a single page, maybe add a hook to act as a filter.

Can you share us a link to take a look?

I am at a loss as to what you mean. The search results do not, as far as I know, return category values - at least not by default. Do you have a custom search module?

Or do you perhaps mean the category pages themselves, not the search results?

Can you share us a link to take a look?

Not really as it's IP locked for now and opening it would a massive pain in the ass for me (lots of emails to send out). I can just print screen it though, if that suffices for whatever you need to look at it.  

I am at a loss as to what you mean. The search results do not, as far as I know, return category values - at least not by default. Do you have a custom search module?

Or do you perhaps mean the category pages themselves, not the search results?

Nop, no custom search module, just one weirdly set up database ( i was dumped this job by a co-worker who decided its fun to give the crap job to the new guy). But yeah, I suppose that's what im looking for. It's a car part shop where you pick a very very specific car type and brand only to be met with the requirement to be even more precise. Then you are dumped into another screen with every car part type known to man to choose from and only then can you see something actually specific. 

In my opinion this is all stupid and the person who did this before me had some weird ideas and i'd redo it from scratch, but basically my job is to dump all this process into one single page so the user could pick one of the categories and everything that's under it would magically appear, presumably by some ajax call. My attempts to find out this logic ( haven't really seen or used prestashop before) in the prestashop source code or documentation has not been very succesful, and the previous programmer is not much of a help either (otherwise I wouldn't have been given this job) so I came here hoping that somebody would point me into the direction where all this stuff may be coded so i can dig into the code and work something out.