Changes to .tpl file overwritten with update?

Yes they will!

I try and acourage folks to find alternatives to modifying files in anything other than their own theme directory (always copy the default theme, and rename it to work on rather than working on the default one, of course). If you makes lots of changes elsewhere, they'll all have to be redone come upgrade time.... you can't even assume that overwriting the upgrade with your changed files will work either; there could be other changes in the new versions that you'll need in your older files.

It's always good to keep a note of anything (apart from the theme files) that you've changed!

Paul

I use beyond compare and it works for me, albeit a little convoluted. If you compare your current store code to the corresponding "official release" you'll see all the files you've changed. Save these somewhere. You can then do a compare of the old and new prestashop release code to find out if the files you've modified have changed between releases, if not just copy your modified version over the new version, and if they have compare the releases to see if your additions are affected and merge your changes into the new version.

Paul