Errors with user account and checkout

au-blacksmith

I have a fresh install 1.6.1.6

- Server config...

Server information Linux #26~14.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jul 24 21:18:00 UTC 2015 i686

Server software version Apache/2.4.7 (Ubuntu)

PHP version 5.5.9-1ubuntu4.16

Memory limit 128M

Max execution time 30

MySQL version 5.5.49-0ubuntu0.14.04.1

- When attempting to register a new user from the login form, no error is displayed and no log entry is generated.

- When attempting to register a user prior to checkout, the following error is displayed:

TECHNICAL ERROR: unable to save account Details: Error thrown: [object Object] Text status: error

- No email is sent regarding new user registration for either case.

- The following error is present in the apache error log:

PHP Catchable fatal error:  Argument 1 passed to AdminInformationControllerCore::getListOfUpdatedFiles() must be an instance of SimpleXMLElement, null given, called in /docroot/controllers/admin/AdminInformationController.php on line 174 and defined in /docroot/controllers/admin/AdminInformationController.php on line 178, referer: /adminroot/index.php?controller=AdminInformation&token=...

- dev mode is set false.

- Console indicates the following:

jquery-1.11.0.min.js:4 Mixed Content: The page at 'https://my-ssl-domain/quick-order' was loaded over HTTPS, but requested an insecure XMLHttpRequest endpoint 'http://my-ssl-domain/quick-order?rand=1467829405539'. This request has been blocked; the content must be served over HTTPS.

I have an SSL cert on this server. If I enable the ssl option in admin, I get endless redirect loops. If the ssl option is disabled, the site functions (other than these issues) normally. The Enable SSL option on all pages is always disabled and does not function.

I have searched google/forum for a solution and the only reference I found (stackoverflow) was to upgrade php from an older version to a version prior to my current installed version.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

[EDIT]

Got this squared away. You must set the apache header max-age in your /sites available/site.conf file to 0 like so:

Header always set Strict-Transport-Security "max-age=0; includeSubdomains;"

In the non-ssl conf file, set the rewrite as:

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteCond %{HTTPS} off

I am not sure what option caused the Enable SSL option on all pages to become enabled, but I can select this option.

I would suggest this (or a better version) be included in the system administrator guide.

[/EDIT]
Edited by au-blacksmith (see edit history)