How can I allow an empty address field?

safius

I am trying to create a temporary default address manually and giving it certain specific property values (specific city, country, etc). I expect customers to edit it eventually during checkout with a non-empty address, which should work out given how PS handles address editing. (It deletes the previous address and creates a new one which is validated from scratch.)

The code below seems to have no effect whatsoever. No new address can be found in the back-office.

$address = new Address();
$address->firstname = $this->context->customer->firstname;
$address->lastname = $this->context->customer->lastname;
$address->address1 = "";
$address->postcode = <postcode>;
$address->city = <city>;
$address->country = <country>;
$address->state = <state>;
$address->phone = $phone;
$address->phone_mobile = $phone;
$address->alias = "My address";
$address->save();
Edited by safius (see edit history)

If you look at the Address class the following are required fields, and are validated:

id_country    integer

alias         isGenericName

lastname      isName

firstname     isName

address1      isAddress

city          isCityName

I'm guessing you're getting a failed return code from the save, 1 or 0 depending on whether successful.  First thing to check is that you are setting id_country with the country id, and not the country name as it appears in your code above?

Thanks for pointing that out, I had already worked around my issue but I forgot to come by and edit the question (BTW, yes, I replaced country with id_country and state with id_state). With that said, I couldn't get PS to do exactly what I intended. Instead, I created the address with "-" as the address1 field, which I replace with an empty string in the AddressFormat::getFormattedAddressFieldsValues method so it can be delivered to the calling controller as if it was empty.

It works, but if anyone can figure out a proper solution, I'm still curious to know.

Edited by safius (see edit history)