SMTP in vers 1.2.5

Ok, I know it's a (very) old and discussed subject but I didn't find a real solution, at least for 1.2.5, after about 2 days of digging in the forum and the bug tracker.

My (only) acceptable policy is to send all mails via my own SMTP server (it's a Mdaemon server, but could be gmail server also), NOT via php mail function.

In vers. 1.3 rc2 and 1.3 rc3 the SMTP problem is solved, I CAN send mails via my SMTP server OR via gmail server.

Unfortunately, I'm forced to use ver. 1.2.5 because of the "search" bug, and it seems that SMTP is not working in this version. The problem is, the shop does not even contact my SMTP server to deliver the mail (I'm testing with contact form from "contact" link in FO). The same behaviour with gmail smtp server.

Now, the real question is, where is the difference between 1.2.5 and 1.3 rc2/rc3, that is solving the SMTP problem ?
(again, with vers. 1.2.5, the SMTP servers are not even contacted, I do know this, beacuse I can inspect the log from my SMTP server, and there is no rejection there, simply the server is not contacted by the shop, but with vers 1.3 is working).

Thank you,

Let's put it in fewer words here:

1. Version 1.2.5

a. SMTP method is NOT working
b. Search function is working

2. Version 1.3 RCx

a. SMTP is working
b. Search function is NOT working

Where could I change anything, to modify vers. 1.2.5 to make SMTP method to work ?

Thank you,