Prest drawbacks.

DeadDred

Please move this if this is the wrong forum.

Setting up first shop using Presta 1.6... For the most part the cart/catalog system is good and doesn't need much but the navigation and navigation blocks and the limited functionality of them really sucks and would make it a great beginner system if they were more customizable with out extra modules which for the most part add no more usability features then the basic set up and cost $$.

Top menu bar. Not even sure why the demo shows categories at the top bar since most stores will have several parent categories and the menu can only hold 4 or so with out breaking flow in desktop.

On the top menu you can't create a place holder parent called say Categories and add each parent cat to that menu item so that I'll expand down/across to show all parent categories. There is a way around this but its a bit mickey mouse. You can add the Home or Root of the Category list in top menu edit BUT you then have to translate the HOME or ROOT to say Categories. This also leaves the parent link liked to the home page and I haven't found a way to override this to another path of just #.

To me being able to nest all categories under a parent menu item in top menu should be part of the basic cart.

This isn't so much Presta problem but  Bootstrap. Pretty insane that there are bloated frameworks for HTML/CSS to make them require almost having programming skills to work with HTML/CSS, when they its just basic markup. Bootstrap is way to rigid for users who have no programming skills. Customizing the design of the store should not be so difficult.

Having a nice default easily customizable template this is responsive, besides Bootstrap would be a great bonus.