Guest checkout problem: id_state not showing but id_state_invoice shows

PrestaShop 1.6.1.4

default-bootstrap 1.0

"Single Page Checkout"

Countries: United States, Canada

Both require zip code and state, both have a zip code format set, both contain states.  Not a configuration problem. They are set up in default configuration, I didn't change anything there.

On the checkout page, if customer clicks "Guest checkout", the form opens.  Section "Delivery Address" is missing zip code and state fields.  Changing between countries does not fix.

If customer tries to submit the form the following errors are displayed:

There is 3 Error(s):

The Zip/Postal code you've entered is invalid. It must follow this format: 00000
This country requires you to choose a State.
postcode is required.

So PrestaShop does require the state and zip code, but where are the fields??!!!  THEY ARE NOT SHOWN! (style="display: none;" and state select element is not populated)

If I click "Please use another address for invoice" checkbox the "Invoice Address" section opens.

Invoice Address state and zip are shown!  Invoice Address states are populated.

So why are delivery address state and zip not shown, but work for invoice address???

I received complaints from customers that they are unable to do checkout because of this problem!!!

Looks like a bug (theme bug?) to me.  Help is appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

PS Yes, I understand that some PrestaShop users disagree with guest checkout feature.  This topic is not for the argument for/against the guest checkout feature.

[EDIT]

I noticed that this problem is also present when Guest checkout is disabled, and "New Customer" section is missing state and zip code fields on the single page checkout.  I think it's more a single page checkout bug.

Edited by r00tb33r (see edit history)