Order Products by Parent Category

davidtrm

Hello,

I'm trying to sort my products based on their position in a parent category but not having much luck.

I've ordered the products as I would like them in their parent category, in Back Office and selected the default order to "Position inside category". When I view my shop the products are sorted by first product in each category, then second product in each category e.t.c and not as they are in Back Office.

Is there anyway to get the products to sort exactly how I have them in my Product's List, in the parent category (which is a subcategory of my root "Home" category)?

Thank you in advance.

Hi,

Take a look at  controllers/front/CategoryController.php  try to figer out how the sorting is made there.

Thanks for the very prompt reply ndiaga, I had a look in CategoryController.php but ended up a getting a little lost - and couldn't find an SQL query which is what I was expecting to find.

Hi

Do you have Layered Navigation enabled?

If you do, set the Layered Navigation to just one level of category and 3 option down, set it to "NOT" show products from sub-categories. This will then order your products by category. 

Hope this helps. 

Nick

Thanks Nick, this is exactly what I was looking for, worked perfectly.

Edited by davidtrm (see edit history)