Database Concurrent Connections Limit

I am using Godaddy as a host (I know, it sucks). They allow 50 concurrent user connections and 200 concurrent database connections. When you reach either of those limits they take the entire site down for 2-5 minutes with an http 503 error.

I keep getting the 503 errors when I am in the backoffice editing products. I can recreate it at any time just by going into the backoffice and updating the quantity of 3 or 4 products in rapid succession. I can't seem to trigger it by doing database reads, only writes. I can switch around pages as fast as possible in the frontoffice or backoffice and it works fine. As soon as I try to edit/add several products though I run into the problem.

It is a new site I am setting up so I am the only one using the site. There is no way I am triggering the 50 concurrent user connection limit. The only thing I can think of is the database connection limit, but why am I using over 200 database connections to add/edit a few products in the backoffice? Is PrestaShop opening a new connection for each query?

I have contacted Godaddy support and they can't tell me which limit I am going over, just that I am getting the 503 errors because I am going over one of them. I have looked at the raw access logs for the site and it is basically just my traffic. No DOS attack or anything. The database is hosted on another server and I don't have access to the MySQL server logs.

Can anyone help me understand why PrestaShop is opening over 200 concurrent database connections when I try to add/edit products and if there is a way to fix this?