[Solved] Single Category With Sub-Categories Will Not Show Products Of Sub-Categories

DBMAN

Been working on this one for a while.   There is one category (which is a sub-category of another parent category) with a few sub-categories below it. 

Structure:

Home- Parent category - category - subcategory/subcategory/subcategory/subcategory

When I click on the parent category all the products below show fine.

When I click the category is says no products to display

When I click the subcategory it also shows no products to display.

If I click on one of the products the breadcrumb does show the correct associations but, again, clicking on the subcategory of the breadcrumbs results in no products to display.

The weird thing is I have a number of similarly set up categories that work as you would expect and show products in all those places just fine.  It is just this single one with it's subs that I'm having the issue with.

Kind of screwed myself trying to figure it out and now I have to reload a 100+ products (my upload takes time and can only do about 11 at a time due to the way I'm uploading the pictures!  They have shared hosting which doesn't help.) but before I do I need to figure this out otherwise I will be back where I started.

I even created another Parent category to replace the troublesome one and move the subcategories there but the issues persisted.

I've done just about everything but starting from scratch so all suggestions really welcomed.  Thanks!

Edited by DBMAN (see edit history)

Can someone tell me where in the database the product and category "relationships" are?   I know that recreating the .htaccess file gets rid of the hidden (why?) 301 redirects that are created when changing a product and I believe there are similarly created criteria that associate a product with a particular category.

Just a guess but still having this issue and before I try loading the products again I would like to wipe the existing related categories and any reference to the products I will reload with the same product numbers.  Frustratingly this is the last "technical" issue I have to solve.

Thanks for the help, I find the database to be highly unorganized and not easy to work with without breaking things since connected pieces are all over the place for some reason.  I am comfortable working within the SQL.

Pretty clear it is related to blocklayered module but still the only weirdness is with that single set of levels.

With this category selected the blocklayered shows a filter enabled for that category but with similar parent-category-sub sets that bit of information doesn't show in the block and only the price filter shows.  Above the price slider is "enabled filters..."

I didn't think it was related but this particular category has the word "price" in it (the other similar working set does not) and while writing this I discovered that if a category has the word "price" in it with blocklayered it is seen as a filter.  When I added a letter to the word "price" in the category my issues were fixed.

So hopefully renaming that category will fix this issue and I can move on.  Clearly a rarely seen bug in the layered module.

I'll report back after re-importing to note if it is solved.

UPDATE: marked as solved, this was the issue. So unique it is unlikely to help many others but there you go. Thanks for reading and responses.

Edited by DBMAN (see edit history)