Storing The Result Of Getnewproducts Until Products Are Added Or Removed

Hi

I have a NewProducts module that I am modifying a bit and I noticed that the this operation is a bit slow:

$products = Product::getNewProducts((int)Context::getContext()->language->id);

So I thought maybe I could just store the result of $products so this query does not have to run for every page load. Then if I could use the actionProductAdd and actionProductDelete to update $products only when needed and Product::getNewProducts would almost never have to run.

However this did not work anyway like I thought. Since my module class is instantiated for each page load I can not store anything there. Then I thought about having some flag in "Configuration" but I am not sure if that is a good approach.

Can anyone tell me if this is a good idea? Should I even try solving it like this or just rely on whatever caching mechanism is available? Given how rarely we add new products it just seemed a waste to execute this query for each load of the index page.

On the other hand, I do not want it to be completely static so I do a shuffle to move the content around a bit like this:

$products = Product::getNewProducts((int)Context::getContext()->language->id);
shuffle($products);

so the page does not look the same if the visitor returns and I would like to keep doing that but it would be nice if I did not have to ask for $products from the db always but only occasionally or when new products are added.

All suggestions on the proper solution to handle this are warmly welcome