Customer To Reserve/lock A Product For A Time

Hello All,

I would need your advice for a feature on my shop.

We sell unique product, each product is different from the other and thus there is no way to re-order a product if it's out of stock, it's just gone. To avoid customer frustration, we would like to add the possibility for customers to reserve a product, so it stay in its account but become invisible for other customers. 

Reservation would last a certain amount of time, 5 days should do.

So there are 4 things :

- Ability to reserve/lock a product for a customer

- When product is locked hide it for other customers,

- Display it in "my wish list" for the customer that reserved it for him to order it.

- After a few days, product becomes available again for all customers if still in stock (if the customer did not order it).

It doesn't seem that a module already exists for this need, and I don't know how hard can it be to develop it (I have experience with PHP development, not so much in PS module development).

Any experience with such functionality?

Thanks a lot for your help, and sorry if this topic has already been tackled.

Edited by bfouassier (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Have you gotten an answer for your question? And if so, could you please share it?

I am having the same question as do a lot of other people. It's just nicer to customers if items that are in customer A's

cart are blocked/reserved for an amount of time or as long as they're in its cart. That way customer B and C either cannot see the entire product untill it is freed into inventory again or on the product it says 'out of stock' or something.

I'm hoping someone knows how to do this!

Regards,

Chris

• Like 1

Hi Chris,

Nope, did't get an answer for that one, so I started to develop my own module (I am coding it right now actually).

It's not supposed to be related to whether or not the product is in the customer cart.

The customer has to contact the shop to let them know that we wants to book it, then the shop make it private for him via the module in the back office.

So basically the module deals only with pushing the customer in a special group, pushing the product in a special category, make this category only visible for this group and voila. The customer will see a new category named "My private sale" or something like that and will be able to order the product in it.

I was thinking about a cron job to push back the product in it's original category after a certain amount of time if the customer did not order it after all.

I'll let you know how far I am going with the module and will share it if I'm happy with it.

Thanks.

Regards

Ben

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...