Problems When Trying To Manually Install A Theme

I'm working on a client's site. 

I'd like to install his theme on my own site, so that I can make some changes on the theme on my server, and then upload the changes once it's ok.

I uploaded the theme files in prestashop theme folder. 

I also added the xml config file in config/xml/themes folder (I renamed the file with the theme filename).

But when I go to the back office, in themes, I can only see my default theme, and no other themes. 

So I'm not able to install his theme on my prsetashop site...

Anyone could help me please?

Can you tell me the theme name if thats possible...Also it maybe that the theme you are talking about has modules associated to it so you will need to see if there are associated modules and get those installed on your testing website...You may see these module names mentioned on the xml file.

Moreover..

If there are just Css changes

You can even make( check ) minor changes by using the inspect element feature in chorme or firebug in Mozilla Browser and deploy the css  changes directly to clients site

Edited by JoelWebsites (see edit history)
  • Like 1

No, it's not minor changes, so I really need to install the theme.

I had a look at the xml contained in the theme directory and there are no modules. 

But I downloaded the theme directory from the client's site and uploaded it in my theme folder, and when I go to the admin page, in the theme section, I can't see this new theme. 

Is it normal ?

Acually, it was not the same prestashop version. 

So I installed version 1.5.5.0 on my tests server (the same version as the client).

Now it's working, I can the the client's theme in my themes. But when I click on the radio button to have this theme used on my site, and then I validate and go to the site main page, it's empty, I have a blank page.

If I go and change the theme back to my default theme, the shop front page reappears...

So I guess I have a problem somewhere...

Thanks, now I have the error message:

Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'SmartyException' with message 'Unable to load template file '/home/...

But I don't want to copy/paste here the entire message...

May I send it to you by PM ?

In the meantime I'm going to try and understand what's going on...

Here it is:

Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'SmartyException' with message 'Unable to load template file '/home/mysite/public_html/presta15/themes/client_theme/./layout//header.tpl' in './header.tpl'' in /home/mysite/public_html/presta15/tools/smarty/sysplugins/smarty_internal_templatebase.php:127 Stack trace: #0 /home/mysite/public_html/presta15/tools/smarty/sysplugins/smarty_internal_template.php(286): Smarty_Internal_TemplateBase->fetch(NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, false, false, true) #1 /home/mysite/public_html/presta15/cache/smarty/compile/38/1e/72/381e72087971347609ce5b9b246a711b38d4f87b.file.header.tpl.php(282): Smarty_Internal_Template->getSubTemplate('/home/mysite/publ...', NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, Array, 0) #2 /home/mysite/public_html/presta15/tools/smarty/sysplugins/smarty_internal_templatebase.php(180): content_564dddaca6e911_70652180(Object(Smarty_Internal_Template)) #3 /home/mysite/public_html/presta15/tools/smarty/sysplugins/smarty_internal_template.php(286): Smarty_Internal_TemplateBase->fetch(NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, false, false, true) #4 /ho in /home/mysite/public_html/presta15/tools/smarty/sysplugins/smarty_internal_templatebase.php on line 127

I found a way to solve the problem.

If anyone has this same problem, here's what I did:

- I went into my client's backoffice, there was a module called import / export theme

- I exported the theme

- I went on my backoffice and imported the zip file

Now I have the exact same theme on my site, and on my client's site, and I can easily make some changes that I will later upload on my client's site.

Thanks for your help Joel, you gave me some good informations that I'll use.

• Like 1