Default theme menu modification question

So after looking and looking for a good free theme and not finding one that seemed to work flawlessly, or was clunky or misplaced i decided to just stick with the default theme and modify it to my liking.

I really liked the look of the blackhawk theme menu because it was smaller and elegant. So my question is for the default theme how do i at least make the words smaller? Is there a way to do this without modifying the css? I dont really have time to rummage through css code. Or if you can at least tell me where to find it in the code.

At line 60 in file  /themes/default-bootstrap/css/modules/blocktopmenu/css/superfish-modified.css

.sf-menu > li > a {
    font: 600 18px/22px "Open Sans",sans-serif;
    text-transform: uppercase;
    color: #484848;
    display: block;
    padding: 17px 20px;
}

There is no option to modify this without editing css in blocktopmenu module.

Best regards SirPresta

So if i wanted to make it 4px smaller i would change it from:

font: 600 18px/22px "Open Sans",sans-serif;

to this

font: 600 14px/18px "Open Sans",sans-serif;

Correct? I'm not a css [spam-filter] or anything and not exactly sure what that 600 is about.

Alright i figured out the 600 to 900 font weight. But i still cant figure out how to change the height of the menu to make it "skinnier".

By skinnier do you mean width or height? One thing to keep in mind is how your site looks on mobile phones and tablets, if you make things to small it makes it hard to use on small screens. So you need to be sure it will be good for both.

I'm not wanting to modify the responsive elements. I'm just simply trying to make the height of the menu less. For example if the menu is set to 100% width and the height is set to say 40px, i would like keep the width the same at 100% but the height to 30px or whatever value it is.

The same place SirPresta said above at line 60 in file  /themes/default-bootstrap/css/modules/blocktopmenu/css/superfish-modified.css, change the first number on padding (currently 17px) to something less.

.sf-menu > li > a {
    border-bottom: 3px solid #555555;
    color: #ffffff;
    font: 900 13px/17px "Open Sans",sans-serif;
    padding: 17px 20px; <------------------------ Change the padding here, first number is padding on top and bottom, second number is right and left padding.
}

The same place SirPresta said above at line 60 in file  /themes/default-bootstrap/css/modules/blocktopmenu/css/superfish-modified.css, change the first number on padding (currently 17px) to something less.

.sf-menu > li > a {
    border-bottom: 3px solid #555555;
    color: #ffffff;
    font: 900 13px/17px "Open Sans",sans-serif;
    padding: 17px 20px; <------------------------ Change the padding here, first number is padding on top and bottom, second number is right and left padding.
}

Thank you so much, i appreciate your help and not telling me to go learn css from w3schools.com

Thank you so much, i appreciate your help and not telling me to go learn css from w3schools.com

Yes, it s nice to get help, but, i give you a link, for a precious tool, necessary need in your browser... ! it s like the swiss knife for everybody have a website and want to change design on it.!

Every developper use this.!! Need to try, because it s easy, no need to learn anything.! just read one time the page, and install the tool, that"s it.!

Best regards

Brice

Edited by BriceVanZeg (see edit history)