Destination Based Sales Tax

I'm having an issue with modifying version 1.0 to use US destination based sales and use taxes.

Background: currently the following US states require the calculation of sales tax based on the destination a product is shipped to.

Arkansas
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Michigan
Minnesota
Nebraska
Nevada
New Jersey
North Carolina
North Dakota
Oklahoma
Rhode Island
South Dakota
Vermont
Washington
West Virginia
Wyoming

The specific tax includes both a state rate and a local rate for a composite tax that can vary dramatically throughout a state depending on the address. I am currently implementing a destination tax for Washington state. The washington state department of revenue has been kind enough to provide an xml interface for a tax look-up. The following is the code I use to execute that query:

$address = new Address(intval($cart->id_address_delivery));
$params = array(
   'output' => urlencode('xml'),
   'addr' => urlencode($address->address1),
   'city' => urlencode($address->city),
   'zip' => urlencode($address->postcode),
);
$query = 'http://dor.wa.gov/AddressRates.aspx?' . http_build_query($params);

// send the query and parse the reply into xml
$c = curl_init($url);
curl_setopt($c, CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER, TRUE);
$response = curl_exec($c);
$content = curl_multi_getcontent($c);
curl_close($c);
$_xml = simplexml_load_string($content);

return floatval($_xml->rate['staterate']) + floatval($_xml->rate['localrate']);

In the Tax object I have added a check to determine if the state_id == washington within getApplicableTax(). If it does, it should execute the code above and return the appropriate tax rate. Unfortunately, it works in isolation, but not within the context of the prestashop application. I've backtracked through the files to locate all instances where getApplicableTax is called and it appears to be Product.php and PaymentModule.php. Is there something I'm missing in either of these classes, or somewhere else that could account for why the tax fails to calculate?

Any insight would be immensely appreciated.

Finnian Burn

Another thing,

Because the destination tax has been in effect since July 1st, I'm currently using a workaround with a 9% sales tax and refunding the difference. Not exactly the most ideal solution, but it will work until a complete fix is done.

Finnian Burn

I haven't really gotten started on it. Just been working with PrestaShop for a week now.

Unfortunately, I also have ZenCart and Virtuemart customers in the same boat.

I'll have to see how much money/time my customer wants to put in this direction. But I'd be happy to test anything you have put together.