Special Prices based on traffic source

EdEichman

In my industry, lots of companies are now giving one price for "normal" visitors, and another price altogether depending on the source. You notice this especially on AdWords PLAs (Product Listing Ads): the price listed on the PLA ad is cheaper (sometimes significantly so).

To compete, I would like to be able to do the same. The "cheaper" price must appear as the normal price to the user, which means cart rules appear to be ruled out (since they don't "change" the price... they just "add" a discount). Catalog price rules also seem to be ruled out, since the docs say 

As its name implies, this type of rules applies to a range of products; it cannot be used for a single product. If you need a discount applied to a single product, you must create a cart rule instead or create a specific price

Specific prices for the product, combined with making the main group for a user gives the display I want (except for some extra HTML in the default template indicating the discount, which can easily be removed). However, usually when the click comes through from the PLA, the customer is not logged in, and I don't want to apply this group when customer number is 0, since that will give the discount to all visitors (correct me if I'm wrong here).

This also means it's difficult to user groups for any other purpose.

Does anyone have a good solution on how to get this working?

Thanks,

Ed Eichman

Cambrils, Spain

• 6 months later...

In my industry, lots of companies are now giving one price for "normal" visitors, and another price altogether depending on the source. You notice this especially on AdWords PLAs (Product Listing Ads): the price listed on the PLA ad is cheaper (sometimes significantly so).

To compete, I would like to be able to do the same. The "cheaper" price must appear as the normal price to the user, which means cart rules appear to be ruled out (since they don't "change" the price... they just "add" a discount). Catalog price rules also seem to be ruled out, since the docs say 

Specific prices for the product, combined with making the main group for a user gives the display I want (except for some extra HTML in the default template indicating the discount, which can easily be removed). However, usually when the click comes through from the PLA, the customer is not logged in, and I don't want to apply this group when customer number is 0, since that will give the discount to all visitors (correct me if I'm wrong here).

This also means it's difficult to user groups for any other purpose.

Does anyone have a good solution on how to get this working?

Thanks,

Ed Eichman

Cambrils, Spain

HI.  did you find a solution for that?