Filter by ohter categories

jlballesteros

Hi,

I am new in Prestashop and i don´t know how filter by category in a list of products of other category. I´m going to explain with a example:

I have a main category named Catalog:

Catalog

-- Office

---- Tables

---- Chairs

---- Desktops

-- Home

---- Tables

---- Chairs

---- Sofas

And other category named Trends:

Trends

-- Vintage

-- Modern

-- Chill out

How can i do for filter by the category "Vintage" when user is in the category "Home > Chairs"??

Because i want to show to the user the chairs for home with a vintage style, and i don´k know how.

I hope you can help me.

Thanks.

The most efficient way would be to have "Vintage", "Modern" and "Chillout" as a feature value e.g. one called "Trend". That way you can use the standard "blocklayered" widget to allow people to home in on what they're looking for e.g. "Vintage" at a price between 300-500. You would lose the category listing for "Vintage" though - although a search on "Vintage" should result in that list (and you can hard-code a link to the search if you feel that might be a common thing for people to do and name it "All Vintage"). Even if you have a category "Vintage" you would probably need to filter out all the chairs if someone was looking for a sofa though anyway.

One of the biggest challenges in an ecommerce store is getting the categories right - there's always a temptation to have too many categories which instead of making it easier for people to find things can actually make it harder/more confusing (think of returning customers trying to find something they saw in a previous visit). You need to try and get into the head of your "majority" customer and decide how they would best be served and then stick to just that. I always maintain that if you have lots of products in multiple categories, then you've got it wrong.

EDIT: Added some clarification/fixed typos!

Edited by Paul C (see edit history)

The most efficient way would be to have "Vintage", "Modern" and "Chillout" as a feature value e.g. one called "Trend". That way you can use the standard "blocklayered" widget to allow people to home in on what they're looking for e.g. "Vintage" at a price between 300-500. You would lose the category listing for "Vintage" though - although a search on "Vintage" should result in that list (and you can hard-code a link to the search if you feel that might be a common thing for people to do and name it "All Vintage"). Even if you have a category "Vintage" you would probably need to filter out all the chairs if someone was looking for a sofa though anyway.

One of the biggest challenges in an ecommerce store is getting the categories right - there's always a temptation to have too many categories which instead of making it easier for people to find things can actually make it harder/more confusing (think of returning customers trying to find something they saw in a previous visit). You need to try and get into the head of your "majority" customer and decide how they would best be served and then stick to just that. I always maintain that if you have lots of products in multiple categories, then you've got it wrong.

EDIT: Added some clarification/fixed typos!

Thank you so much Paul.

It's a pity. I thought that could filter a list of products by two or more categories. Maybe i'm thinking like in other platforms such as Drupal.

Really, is it not possible using some module?

And for build a list of products filtered by features, only i can do it using "blocklayered"? Hard-coding the URL and assign to option menu...

There is no other way? That is the standard?