Any UK users here? How to solve UK postcode problems?

Enfys

We're nearly ready to go with our new Prestashop site, but I am scratching my head as to what to do about UK postcodes.

The issues are:

1. The UK has multiple postcode formats, but under localisation > country only one postcode format can be entered. This means we cannot set up validation for UK postcode formats. Does anyone know how to solve this? 

2. The only option is to leave the postcode field blank. This means no postcode at all is required from the user. This is a problem, both for our internal systems and also I have read also this will create an issue with PayPal.

Does anyone know how to make this postcode field compulsory without setting a format?

(although if point 1 is solved this step won't be necessary). 

3. How to deal with UK remote areas which cost more to ship to, such as Highlands and Islands? I found a module which looked like it would help with this - however it will not work with UK postcodes. It would work just fine if we could enter multiple postcode formats (see point 1). Or if wildcards were allowed in the module. Other modules I found which allowed wildcards could only be used with numeric (so not UK) postcodes.

Can anyone offer any help here?

I can't be the only one using Prestashop in the UK, surely?! 

How have the rest of you managed this issue?

Thanks in advance for any help :) , I'm tearing my hair out here! 

Edited by Enfys (see edit history)

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the response :) 

Funnily enough I'd just come across that. It hasn't been updated for 1.6 specifically but there is one person on the thread saying it worked for them so fingers crossed!

Have you any experience of using it yourself?

Hello

Afraid not, but still not sure why you cannot use your own zones like:

Mainland UK

Scotland

Orkneys

Grampian

Etc

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply :)

Do you mean why can't I set up my own zones for shipping purposes? I tried to do exactly that and got stuck at the postcode part. (You need to enter postcode ranges to make this work, surely, or am I missing something?).

I set up new zones, and then - using a module called "Shipping cost by postcode" tried to assign these zones to postcodes & carriers. But without the ability to use multiple postcode formats it doesn't work.

The specific problem I had with that module is it expects users to type the postcode in with a space e.g. LN NLL. Although this is technically correct, if users omit the space (which they often do) when typing in the postcode, (e.g. LNNLL) then they are not assigned correct shipping carrier at checkout.

Maybe I am missing something obvious? I hope these is an easy answer .... ?!

Cheers :)

Edited by Enfys (see edit history)

The problem with zones is that each courier has different zones for delivery, change courier and you may have to change all your zones again!

I use this

http://www.presto-changeo.com/en/shipping-modules/83-localized-shipping.html

Which looks to do exactly what you need, but is a little time consuming to set up. Because we use Royal Mail, couriers express deliveries etc in the UK and abroad they all need to be configured. So use a spreadsheet and import it all You do have to have the same weight ranges across them all though so you really need to plan it out

I can provide an example spreadsheet file that we use 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...

Hello together
Does anyone have experience with the configuration of the postal codes in the UK? The problem with us is that the postal codes are not assigned to the respective shipping service. Or sometimes the postal code is not found.

We have the following module in our shop:
https://addons.prestashop.com/en/shipping-costs/5711-shipping-fees-based-on-postal-codes.html

We also tried the Fetchify service, but according to the shop owner it is too expensive and we still haven't solved the problem with the correct allocation of the shipping services.

Does anyone else have any ideas? Or which modules for the postcodes do you work with in the UK? Thank you.