Leaving osc for prestashop

My store is now on oscommerce, but i am not very happy with it. I am thinking of leaving osc for prestashop, but I don't know how. this is my web site www.honeybunny.ro. I would really be grateful if you guys can take a look and give me some advice. Thanx

"If you want to have a “play” with presta you could set it up as a subdirectory – honeybunny.ro/shop that way your original site is not affected"

If I install Prestashop in a sub-directory as indicated above, will it affect my live shop in the root directory? And how do I keep the Prestashop from being indexed while I am working on it?

Thanks.

Hi Elmbrook

No your live shop will not be effected as your normal site will by www.mysite.com your presta site will be www.mysite.com/shop (or whatever you call it).

Unless someone specifically types that address in it will never be known.

As for indexing you can stop that by adding to the .htaccess file - I myself am not sure, but hopefully someone can give you an idea.

I actually set up a "dual site" when I first started using presta and had no problems at all.

Enjoy.

You can edit your robots.txt file (in the root of your site) and include the line:

Disallow: /shop

(Assuming that shop is the name of the directory you've used to put your work in progress PrestaShop installation). That will make sure NONE of your test shop will be included in the google (and most other significant) indexes.

Paul

I decided to install prestashop for my site, but i'm facing some difficulties in the process. I've reached step 3 - Shop configuration and when i try to upload a logo i et this error: "Impossible to copy languages's flags". What should i do in this case? 10x

Hmm I think we're talking about different things. Before running the installer, there are two things you need to do.

1) Copy the files to your server (usually via ftp)
2) Ensure that the following directory permissions are set:

While you have your FTP connected to your Web hosting server, make sure the following PrestaShop folders have ‘write’ permissions (also known as “CHMOD 777” – explanation of file permissions here) but do not apply these permissions recursively (to their subfolders): /config, /tools/smarty/compile. Then make sure the following folders have ‘write’ permissions and apply these permissions recursively (to their subfolders): /img, /mails, /modules, /themes/prestashop/lang, /translations

Only then should you run the installer. The full installation instructions are here: http://www.prestashop.com/wiki/Getting_Started/#Install_PrestaShop

Paul

first of all thanks alot for the help, it's nice to have somenone to lead you in the right direction. :)

I went there (phpmyAdmin - ps_employee’ table), but there's nothing there, and i remember that when i made the registration (step 3 in installation process) i didn't wrote anything in the lower part of the form, where i was suposed to write the SMTP server adress or something like this. So i think I missed the part in which i should of created an account for my admin backoffice. What can I do now? From where can I create or edit an account?

You shouldn't need anything in there - unless you have to use smtp to send mails. You should have entered the admin email address and password during the installation, and it should have been stored in there.... I'm guessing but it may be that the installer checked the admin email and there was a format problem with it. Instead of creating an error, it just didn't create the database record.

Go to phpMyAdmin, select the database and try the following sql:

INSERT INTO ps_employee (id_employee, lastname, firstname, email, passwd, active, id_profile) VALUES (NULL, 'YOURLASTNAME', 'yourfirstname', '[email protected]', '0325c2ca24927160580c625cb01dd596', 1, 1);
INSERT INTO ps_contact (id_contact, email) VALUES (NULL, '[email protected]');

replace YOURLASTNAME, yourfirstname and [email protected] with suitable values (YOURLASTNAME is in upper case).

Password will be: letmein99

Paul

Right there's a problem with the above, because I forgot about the shop cookie factor! The code with your email in it would be (stil need to change your name though):

INSERT INTO ps_employee (id_employee, lastname, firstname, email, passwd, active, id_profile) VALUES (NULL, 'YOURLASTNAME', 'yourfirstname', '[email protected]', '0325c2ca24927160580c625cb01dd596', 1, 1);

Now that won't let you in as the encrypted password won't be right.

Once the above is complete though, you should be able to change the password using the details here:

http://www.prestashop.com/forums/viewthread/4843/installation_configuration___upgrade/lost_password_the_solution_is_in_the_forum_but_in_french

Paul

Actually you could try doing:

INSERT INTO ps_employee (id_employee, lastname, firstname, email, passwd, active, id_profile) VALUES (NULL, 'YOURLASTNAME', 'yourfirstname', '[email protected]', md5('letmein99'), 1, 1);

you'll need to replace with the long alphanumeric string (without quotes) that you'll get from a line similar to:

define('_COOKIE_KEY_', 'DweKR6zKDfXq5oiqrKk63MX4VGDyi8FKXKHMTUk2pwp6eoRYkwi6By9j');

That you'll find in /config/settings.inc.php

Paul