Import CSV

I also am having problems importing CSV files having exported my products, amended some and tried to import.  I gave up with excel which opened the file as continuous text showing the semicolon separators, so I switched to Open Systems Calc which worked OK at that stage.  When I tried to import the saved csv I got the message that it had done so OK, however, the data had not been modified and I have not yet been successful in loading it properly. Looking at your response to others you refer to looking at it on notepad.  I downloaded Notepad 8 but it only opens .txt files as far as I can see.   I can't see any reference to URF-8 in the download process.  I have a YES/NO switch for ISO 8859-1 encoding and though it is on 'OFF' I have tried both settings with the same result.

Hi buttonc.  I've been through some of those and solved my particular error.    First, on your Excel Template, the files they have are set up like a German file or some such . You need to do the following to solve that:

1.  Open the template file you downloaded.

2.  Insert a line at the type.

3.  In the cell A1 (top left) enter the following text:  sep=;

This is the best way.  You may also be able to save the file, change the extension to .txt (instead of .csv). When you open the saved file, it then automatically starts the Excel parse wizard and you can delimit the file that way. 

Other issues:  Should be no on the ISO questions.  

My issue was that I had a value in the ID field, even though I told the importer to override it still hosed up the import.   When I reviewed the columns I just told the system to ignore the id field and it imported fine. 

Finally, I recommend you download Notepad++.  It is a great text editor, you can set encoding, etc., and best of all, it is FREE!