How to test checkout process?

jrec15

I will be making changes to the checkout process soon (adding an extra step) but before I can do that, I need to be able to go through the checkout process and create orders. I have been stuck on this for too long so was hoping someone here would have some advice.
First, i've mainly tried to setup the Paypal USA module using paypal's sandbox mode. I can never get this to work. I have all my credentials setup correctly, and am positive it is an error with the module's code. I checkout correctly and go through paypal correctly, but coming back to my site an order is never created. I have looked into this and many others have had this same problem, without much luck as to fixing it. Unless anyone happens to know the secret to getting that to work, I'm at a point where Paypal sandbox just does not seem like the way to go.
So.... how would one going about testing checkout? I feel like there should be some native built in test mode for doing this. If not though, what's the easiest work around? (I would much prefer not to have to go live with paypal and pay them fees everytime I checkout and move money around)

Thanks in advance

Soo, Cash on Delivery was exactly what I was looking for. Quick painless way to test the checkout process without actually dealing with payments. Really surprised that over hours of google searching (mostly on using the paypal module, but still) I never saw this mentioned and just stumbled across it in another post. I figured more people would have to test their checkout process before going live. Anyway, I never figured out my issues with the Paypal USA module, but now I really don't have to till I use my live account and live site which is great since it seems like 90% of the problems are using the sandbox version.

Edited by jrec15 (see edit history)