Remember to backup!

I've spent many years trying to set up an ecommerce website to no success. I tried pretty much all ecommerce softwares available. You can name them all, I can guarantee I tried. I tried as hard as I could to learn how to configure these softwares and none of them ever worked properly.

Then I found Prestashop and eveything changed. I could finally work the way I wanted. I then started reading all I could about it, learning how to code, transplanting and editing modules, tweaking pixel-sized details and everything else. I even optimized many things so I could load faster. It was a beautiful experience and in one week I had set up my store, with everything working perfectly, just the way I always wanted. Even the payment gateways were working like a charm and I was ready to debut it this weeked. Not only that, it was a gift for my father who is a local retailer.

Then my nightmare started. FileZilla's and most FTP clients' interface sucks and I wanted to keep messing with the files using a normal windows interface with the folders and everything. I download a software called winSCP and tried to synch a folder to Windows.... The b@stard started rapidly deleting files from the root folder and before I could react it had already eaten half of everthing. My shop, then, became unusable. All my hundreds of hours of applied work went down the gutter in 45 seconds. I was devastated and became desperate, but nothing could be done. I had lost it all.

It's like something is mocking me. I even tried to reinstall Prestashop and rebuild it from scratch, since now I have the knowledge to set it up much much faster than before and... For some reason it's ridden with bugs. I reinstalled five times and athe bugs persist. I can't even get past the initial customization stage because the logo refuses to upload. Same goes for the translation file.

I guess it's time to give up. I can't believe I got so close... Not close, I actually had it up and running, and then... 

This sucks. Remember to backup always guys and good luck!

Edited by jsnetors (see edit history)

Maybe you just  need to take a break from it, to calm down and try again in a week or two.

Because you came to the point where you were very pleased with your work, current obstacles shouldn't stop you to do it once again.

Anyway, as long as computers will exist, backups will be needed. :)

Edited by User23311 (see edit history)