Product combinations causing shipping issues

Hi all.

The store works just fine but as some of my items can be expensive and not arrive in stock for a number months [pre-order basically] I wanted to provide the option for customers to be able to pay a deposit and then I will invoice them via paypal once the item arrives in stock.

As there are no modules that seem to provide this type of function or monthly payment scheme [layaway module doesn't allow separate settings for each product] I believe that the best option would be to use combinations.

I have set up the combination then for a product as 2 options. Full Price and Deposit only.

Although this part works just fine and adjusts the price on checkout, what I now see though is a 'no carriers available' message during the checkout process. This will happen if I choose full price or deposit only.

I suspect it's maybe related to the settings in the combinations that deal with the weight maybe as the option is only increase/derease or no change with regards the weight. No amount of adjusting though seems to get it to work.

If I remove combinations basically taking the item back to it's original state being buy it now at full price and we'll ship when it arrives it all works just fine again. What am I missing with the combinations that I should adjust so that the shipping works.

My other question then would be how I might set this for the deposit price choice of the item. As it's a deposit and not the physical item, there won't be any shipping and so shipping is not part of the equation and doesn't even need to feature on the cart really, it's only necessary of course if they choose the 'full price pay now' option.

Shipping and balance will be handled in the paypal invoicing once the item arrives for these deposits.

Thanks for any answers, tips or advice guys.

Update.

Ok, looks like I have solved it.

When you add combinations you seem to be effectively adding extra products to your inventory. As I was using advanced stock management, these combination products need to be associated with a warehouse. Once that is done it all works fine. To get the item deposit purchase to be free delivery as it's not actually a physical item , yI adjusted the weight change to take the item to 0kg. I edited the description of free delivery to say - contact to collect / deposit only payments will have shipping charged on the final invoice when product arrives in stock.

Looks good and does everything I really need it to do. Now time to read paypal about invoicing :)