Git Repository for a Site

EdEichman

Hi Everyone,

In order to closely track source code changes, I tend to check changes into version control (in my case, git), and then checkout from git to the testing or live server. I want to make sure that local code / templates / modules etc. and server code match.

I'm now starting my first PrestaShop project, and was wondering if anyone had any advice for 1) what should be checked in and 2) how updates should be done.

My current plan is to check in all of Prestashop (except for some gitignores, e.g. https://www.gitignore.io/api/prestashop). When updates come out, I plan to install the updates on my local and testing servers to do testing. Once I am happy with the update code, my plan is to do the update on the server, and push the changes from the live server to the repository - which is exactly the opposite of what I usually do! The is the only way I see of making sure that the database changes get done correctly.

How do you guys handle source control for sites?

Thanks,

Ed Eichman

Cambrils, Spain

• Like 1

I don't know about others but the easy way for me was these

1) Keep away from the core (You are going to need a lot excludes  )

2) Install on local, develop server and live server the same version. 

3) Create a bare and  shared repo on one server for each chapter important for me theme, img, overrides and each develop module. Or just create a repo with these folders and with some git submodules for the modules because maybe a want these generic not for just a project

4) Scripts to download database and overwrite it local and develop and change the pr_shop_url

Never update a core just because is available because if you are developing your site you have some surprises later

I only push from the local to be sure on develop server is going to be all ok 

I wish to see what other people use

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I don't know about others but the easy way for me was these

1) Keep away from the core (You are going to need a lot excludes  )

2) Install on local, develop server and live server the same version. 

3) Create a bare and  shared repo on one server for each chapter important for me theme, img, overrides and each develop module. Or just create a repo with these folders and with some git submodules for the modules because maybe a want these generic not for just a project

4) Scripts to download database and overwrite it local and develop and change the pr_shop_url

Never update a core just because is available because if you are developing your site you have some surprises later

I only push from the local to be sure on develop server is going to be all ok 

I wish to see what other people use

Hi,

can you explain more what do you mean by "never update core", do you mean that you only chek you theme and modules in repo, and Prestashop is excluded? Or you don't update Prestashop?