Cannot install theme

I've got a special trouble. I cannot install any theme. If I try to do it by Prestashop installer it returns a message: "Bad configuration file". Installation it by hand in prestashop/themes was always failure because it doesn't show a new template in themes menu. Even when I tried copy and paste the directory of existing template and rename it as "mytheme" Prestashop didn't show it. What did I wrong? I must add that I have "Force compilation" set in Advanced->Performance and it didn't help...

Edited by Geppert_Dev (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ok, I solved it. Just create a new empty theme in admin panel. Then turn off all available modules (I uninstalled it). Now copy and paste your new theme files into new theme folder and finally turn on: firstly your theme and then needed modules. It works for me. If you won't solve it this way, write here and I try to help :)

Hi! I already solved but thank you really much, I'm saving your answer for later use.

My way was different from yours but yours it's better since mine still doesn't use a new theme. What I did was:

1. from the active theme (the one I have to duplicate, already a custom one made by me): advanced options > rename, change preview jpg

2. go to database, _theme table > if wrong, fix the directory column of your theme

It worked for me.

• 2 months later...

If you are using Safari read this.

I had the "Bad configuration file" problem when attempting to use  "add new theme" button in PS preferences, themes back office. Turns out it had to do with the setting of Safari browser I am using to download the zipped theme files.

When downloading the theme file from the provider make sure it remains in it's original zip format and that it does not get automatically unpacked by Safari (control + click on the file you are downloading and choose "save downloaded file as (your_new_theme.zip)". If you would rather Safari just download the .zip file and leave if for you to decide what to do:

1. Open Safari 
  2. Click Preferences
  3. Uncheck the option Open “safe” files after downloading   post-1043448-0-94446100-1435339787_thumb.png

BTW, after Safari unpacked the zip files, new theme could not be added even if I archived the folders back to zip.  

Anyway, I am now able to use the "Add new theme" in preferences, theme (PrestaShop v. 1.6.0.9), try it and let me know if it worked for you too.  :) 

Edited by pmirkovic (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I solved it. Just create a new empty theme in admin panel. Then turn off all available modules (I uninstalled it). Now copy and paste your new theme files into new theme folder and finally turn on: firstly your theme and then needed modules. It works for me. If you won't solve it this way, write here and I try to help :)

I have created a new empty theme. I click the newly-created them. Then I get a page under Themes > Theme

In the 'MODULES TO INSTALL' box, I have two items, 'Select the theme's modules you wish to enable' and 'Select the theme's modules you wish to disable'. I select the 20 modules to disable then 'finish'. 

I unzip the themes file and paste it into the newly-created folder in the themes folder. I don't know where to go from here. My new page is blank!

Edited by chome4 (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

If you are using Safari read this.

I had the "Bad configuration file" problem when attempting to use  "add new theme" button in PS preferences, themes back office. Turns out it had to do with the setting of Safari browser I am using to download the zipped theme files.

When downloading the theme file from the provider make sure it remains in it's original zip format and that it does not get automatically unpacked by Safari (control + click on the file you are downloading and choose "save downloaded file as (your_new_theme.zip)". If you would rather Safari just download the .zip file and leave if for you to decide what to do:

1. Open Safari 
  2. Click Preferences
  3. Uncheck the option Open “safe” files after downloading   attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-06-27 at 1.02.45 am.png

BTW, after Safari unpacked the zip files, new theme could not be added even if I archived the folders back to zip.  

Anyway, I am now able to use the "Add new theme" in preferences, theme (PrestaShop v. 1.6.0.9), try it and let me know if it worked for you too.  :) 

finally, i love you!!!!