Cashondelivery module again and again

we run few compay shops, all were using prestashop 1.5.xx. pretty stable exept the bug making the category dissipearing when editing category description.

changed 3 of the shops to latest version 1.6.0.11, also purchased 3 themes for them. kept another new version without theme for test only.

the problem is that due to bad cashondelivery module these web stores became unusable, if chosen, takes a lifetime to confirm the order, finally getting blank page with error 500. customer cannot buy. this is not serious software. all 3 stores behave the same, found dozens other people complaining about same thing, no real solution. looks like with no theme on it, bare prestashop manage to confirm orders by cod sometimes but with theme only once in a while. also seems that ccc cache affects the processing time as well, if all disabled time is shorter, may succeed sometimes. page that takes so much time loading is  .../module/cashondelivery/validation , exactly same as in other cases found where people were complaining about same thing. we have our own server, increased php memory from 125 which should me more than enough to 250, we tried everything. that module is simply bad written.

this is not theme related, even with theme time looks like being a bit longer, clean prestashop with all updates installed is performing the same. is it possible please make this module work? here 99% of the transactions are cod, if cod module don't work then whole store is trash. we worked a great deal of time translating and arranging everythin, paid hundreds for themes, now site is unusable. total nightmare.

I see that you are having issues, but most of these issues can be tailed back to your server, your hosting, and your mods / themes. 

I've had performance issues as well when I worked on PS installations for clients, but most of them had to do with a (bad) hosting, or extremely slow IO performance (thumbnails), or a slow CPU. SQL is a big part in this as well....!

If you look at the COD module, it's _very_ simple, it barely does anything but to create an order (through validateOrder(....) which is used by every payment module.

CCC is not a source of the problem: CCC only combines JS/CSS files (these are front-end), your issues are at the backend (serverside code, SQL code, MySQL). If you'd like a trial hosting account for a day to prove my point let me know, I can show you that another hosting package can really pack a bunch.

hi, thanks but not needed, i have my own server based on xeon 3.5ghz  with 32g ram, load is around 0.5-1.2 the most. i increased php memory from 128 to 256 and max_input_vars doubled to 8192. basically anything needed i can do but what to do actually? i still think prestashop is permanetly immature and unsuitable for real commercial solution, more like for time waste toy for hobbyists. had the web stores based by oscommerce previously, no issue. have friends running magento, no issues. prestashop is a permanent pain.

l.e. looks like problem is the validation process, still slow with another cod module, the cod+fee.

Edited by 1cctv (see edit history)

Hey there 1cctv,

I agree that prestashop might not be an enterprise-grade solution for large e-commerce stores, but it has a great trade-off for functionality versus pricing. Also the developer curve is not that high (as you may know, Magento is a pain to develop for, steep curve). 

I've ran prestashop on different VMs and physical hardware, performance ranging from crap to blazingly fast. If you have your own server, I would suggest using Netbeans in combination with xdebug on your apache installation in order to see where your issues are coming from. 

Prestashop is great when you know how to use it, and how to look for solutions to these kind of problems. Again, I'm not saying it is perfect, but I prefer it above all else for now.

Good luck!

anybody can solve this for a fee? as stated i am on my own server.

bottom line validation takes too long and sometimes go into error 500. have test store without theme and 2 stores with theme. all behave the same. if that matters english is uninstalled or disabled, sites displays romanian language only.

sadly nobody says nonthing on this forum, looks like prestashop is only for "those in the know". that's not what i am looking for. well, core is free. ok, so are the others. even not so intuitive and straight forward, other platforms don't seems to have so many bugs, never ready for anything. prestashop is a business afterall, as long as it makes money, the developers i think should have the decency to come out with stable, commercial ready product. take my case, i used prestashop then purchased like $500 themes and add-ons, now all new stores works like crap and don't know what to do.

problem was solved partially by increasing resources on server and timeouts. that does not solve the issue, checkout/payment/validation taking too long.

i used the following by editing php.ini, as found on the internet:

memory_limit=1024M

max+execution_time=300

max_input_time=-1

max_input_vars=10000

suhoshin not present in my php.ini.

all resources were increased. sistem don't show error 500 anymore but checkout/validation still takes too long.

anybody can say if these settings are enough for whole server (it's my own server) or must be changed if server runs 50 or 100 prestashop stores.

thanks in advance.

thanks to template monster support - resources again increased - and a full clear cache on server all works fine now. maybe core software is not bad but is too sensitive to anything.

will post final settings tommorow for anybody facing same problem. cash on delivery module has no issue.

• 2 months later...

I have the same problem in order validation, 20 sec slow time,

and some customers go out to the page, so receive order without emails, right status and products list ordered.

If I test the checkout and I wait the validation process 20 sec all is ok

Can be for hosting resources?

Thank you

• 2 months later...

Hi adamkey, can you please post your findings.  I'm having the same issues, but it's occurring with cashondelivery and another.  I only have 2 payment modules and I'm not seeing any particular erros, but it's taking 70 seconds to complete. Thanks.

• 6 months later...

Hi 1cctv and all community,

Could anybody post a step-by-step guide about how to resolve the issue?

Thanks

thanks to template monster support - resources again increased - and a full clear cache on server all works fine now. maybe core software is not bad but is too sensitive to anything.

will post final settings tommorow for anybody facing same problem. cash on delivery module has no issue.