Inserting the Category Module into the left column of the landing page

I have been tinkering with this for the last couple days and it just doesnt come out right.

On the Presta default theme for 1.6 Im looking to insert the categories module into the left column of the landing page. I want to preserve the slide and Dynamic categories and if possible the sale item blocks (pics with the 3 days and only online pics).

Example:

http://demo.prestashop.com/en/?view=front

On the front page if you select the DRESSES tab, you will see a column appear to the left with Casual, Evening, Summer dress categories. To the right a large picture displays.

You could more or less take this and transplant it to the landing page to be close to what I am looking for. I would have to change the categories to the more general higher level ones like WOMEN, DRESSES, TSHIRTS Also swap the Home Slider in place of the Dresses picture but this is close enough to what I need to be able to figure out the rest.

Also is it possible to remove the navigation bar (with the WOMEN, DRESSES, TSHIRT tabs) and put in the breadcrumb mini navigation pipe (same set up as the subpage).

Any help or pointing me in the right direction is appreciated.

Thanks.