Best Practice Guidance/Advice on testing environment

I am new to the PrestoShop environment.  It seems obvious that there needs to be at least a Development Environment and a separate Production environment used to take orders.

The testing environment can be established either locally or at the hosting service via a subdomain while the real online shop is operational.  Once a ‘new’ shop version has been created and tested in the development , what are the ‘usual and customary’ steps taken to replace the production environment?

Most likely there is a need to shut down site during the ‘upgrade’ – how is that typically done?

How are the updates migrated to the operational site -- copy and replace the entire PrestoShop directory?  Will this replace the database of customers/products that is being updated automatically as time passes?

Is there some tool that does these operations in the right sequence to ensure ongoing integrity when the new site resumes?

As I think about the issues in combination with what little I understand about the PrestoShop structure it seems like a fertile ground for stumbling. 

Any documents or advice is eagerly sought.