My Images suddenly turned Blurry

I hadnt looked at my store for some time, i have been pre-occupied with other things. Anyway after looking at my store, i noticed the product images are blurry, and some have been randomly stretched.

I havent touched any settings with my store, and im unsure which modules automatically updated, but the point is something has happened to my images and has made them Blurry.

Iv been searching through these forums and i see a previous post i made, i was given instructions on how to over-ride prestashops image resizer, however for 300+ products, i dont want to have to override manually.

im really confused when it comes to image sizes - as i like to use CM / Inches to determine image size, and i assumed px was the amount of pixels in the image, which there-for would mean px means quality? But yet in prestashop px by px is a size? I tried to resize my images in photoshop to 400 x 400 px and it made the image TINY... surely thats not what im required to do?

At the moment the image is displayed yet it is very blurry, then when i click to enlarge the image, i see the image, its smaller than the image on the product page, but the quality is better.

I know how i can add image sizes in the back office, but what should my uploaded image size be?

i edited one of the photos and made it 23cm x 35cm

resolution is 80,000 px per cm

px size 1140 x 1723         Uploaded file size 256kb

but its still blurry on the product page.... surely i dont have to make it larger otherwise i will use up to much space...

I also saved the file as PNG and uploaded it again, and its still blurry

If someone could give me a good base image size, that i can use as a template, which wont look blurry, and can enlargen in thickbox that would be great.

i was up until late last night playing with the images - i enlarged them, saved them as PNG then set the preferences to "use PNG is base image is PNG" and it looks as though it has done the trick now that i have had a look this morning. My Host provider is rather slow, so i dont think i see the changes until about 30min after i make them, despite clearing the cache etc. 

Im concered that using such large images in PNG could cause my website to have loading issues due to the size.

What image file size would you reccomend is best to upload? should i try keep it under 200kb ?

i was up until late last night playing with the images - i enlarged them, saved them as PNG then set the preferences to "use PNG is base image is PNG" and it looks as though it has done the trick now that i have had a look this morning. My Host provider is rather slow, so i dont think i see the changes until about 30min after i make them, despite clearing the cache etc. 

Im concered that using such large images in PNG could cause my website to have loading issues due to the size.

What image file size would you reccomend is best to upload? should i try keep it under 200kb ?

Obviously smaller size is better for speed but then you start to sacrifice quality. Not really sure what to really keep them under. The pictures for my site come from a bunch of different sources so I tend to just upload them, run an optimization check and then deal with anything then.

I checked your page speed and it didn't really show you needed to optimize/change the size of any of your images (other than your header and background images) so I would say you are alright with what you have.